Mice and Bug Prevention Tips
Mice and bugs play an important role in the ecosystem, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you want them in your home. Follow these prevention tips to keep your home pest free.
- Caulk small holes. Even mice can enter the home through the tiniest of openings. Be sure to inspect the exterior of your home and caulk any small cracks or holes. This will also help to make the home more energy-efficient.
- Fill openings with steel wool. For larger openings that can’t be sealed with caulk, fill them with steel wool. Mice and rats can chew through plastic and rubber, but they won’t be able to get through the steel wool.
- Maintain your landscape. Get rid of organic debris around the yard and make sure that plants, trees, and shrubs aren’t allowed to grow too close to the house. Yard debris can provide habitats for pests and welcome them into your yard while other plants can create a bridge into the home.
- Store your food in glass or hard plastic containers. All pests are looking for convenient food and water sources. Loosely sealed food containers will attract pests, so be sure to use airtight containers for food storage.
- Install screen vents in the chimney and other openings. Certain openings are necessary for the home, but you can use screened vents to keep pests out.
- Add weather stripping. If the weather stripping around your door has become old and damaged, take the time to replace it. Adding new weatherstripping will cut off another entry point for pests.
- Seal areas around pipes. The plumbing in your home can also create vulnerable points. Be sure to seal the areas around pipes and take the time to fix any leaky pipes that could be providing a water source for pests.
- Have a pest control plan. It is important to be proactive about pest control and try to prevent infestations. Capital Pest can help you protect your home throughout the year and deter pests.
Capital Pest is proud to be a family-owned and operated pest control company serving Raleigh, NC and its surrounding area (Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Clayton, Pinehurst, Pittsboro, Fuquay-Varina, etc). Contact us for our pest control services today!