How To Get Rid of Ants – 5 Simple Steps
Ants are social creatures that work together to locate resources. Once a scout has found food or water, they will signal the rest of the colony and before long your home can be crawling with ants. This sophisticated mode of communication can make it difficult to completely rid your home of ants. That is why it is important to follow these 5 steps on how to get rid of ants. These steps will help you prevent and exterminate ants.
- Remove all access points. Ants can enter the home through even the smallest of holes and cracks. Be sure to regularly inspect your home to identify any potential access points and use a silicone caulk to close any gaps. Take a close look at areas around doors, windows and utility pipes. In addition, make sure that trees and shrubs are trimmed and away from the home.
- Clean up indoor and outdoor standing water. In addition to food, ants will also be on the hunt for water. Anything from a leaky pipe to a planter full of water can attract ants. If your home tends to accumulate moisture, invest in a dehumidifier to help keep basements and crawl spaces dry. Also, make sure that your gutters are free of debris and operating properly so that water doesn’t begin to pool near the foundation.
- Keep your kitchen clean. As you might imagine, a sink full of dirty dishes and countertops covered in crumbs is a jackpot for ants. Take the time to wipe counters, remove garbage, and store food in airtight containers to avoid creating an ant buffet.
- Clean up pet food and water. Don’t forget about dirty pet bowls as you clean your kitchen. Crumbs and spilled water from pets will also attract ants.
- Call the experts in ant extermination. Getting rid of ants can be difficult. Even if it looks like their numbers have dwindled, they will still be able to follow their established paths back into your home. A professional will be able to offer a comprehensive plant that will effectively get rid of ants.
At Capital Pest, our highly-trained and experienced professionals can help you get rid of ants and enjoy a home that is totally pest-free. Call us today to learn more about our custom treatment plans on how to get rid of ants.
Capital Pest is proud to be a family-owned and operated pest control company serving Raleigh, NC and its surrounding area (Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Clayton, Pinehurst, Pittsboro, Fuquay-Varina, etc). Contact us for our pest control services today!