Heavy Rainfall Leads to Mosquito Problems in Raleigh & Surrounding Areas in North Carolina
We all know it has rained a lot this summer. Since the beginning of the year, RDU has actually recorded more than 7 inches of rain above the normal average.
All this rain brings several problems, including mosquitoes, as you — or your legs — have probably noticed.
Increased Rain Means Increased Mosquito Activity
Mosquito experts say the mosquito population has exploded this summer, due in large part to the record rainfall.
Water-filled objects tend to act as mosquito breeding grounds. When containers, creeks and puddles stay full of water, they give mosquitoes a place to lay their eggs. More mosquitoes means more itchy bites on you — and an increased risk of disease carried by these insects.
Tips for Mosquito Control in Raleigh, NC
There are several things you can do to learn more about mosquitoes and stop a mosquito-boom in your Raleigh backyard — before you hear buzzing in your ear and feel the familiar itching. Here are a few tips:
- If you use containers to collect rainwater, cover them with screening to keep out debris and mosquitoes.
- Dump excess water from outdoor containers, such as the saucers under flower pots.
- Flush the water out of bird baths at least twice a week.
- Make sure rain gutters are free of leaves and debris and can drain properly.
- Correct drainage problems in your yard so that water doesn’t pool.
- Rely on Capital Pest Services for mosquito control in Raleigh, Durham, Cary and across the Triangle.
When mosquitoes are as bad as they are this summer, you need the expertise and experience of a professional pest control provider, like those at Capital Pest Services. Our mosquito control specialists can help you eliminate mosquitoes, allowing you to enjoy the outdoors for the rest of the summer without fear of bites or disease.